Given the characteristically deep plan typical of these originally rural lots, the new distribution takes advantage of this elongation by organizing autonomous episodes along the building’s section, fitted for a required intense use during the summer months. This piling up culminates in a double-height living room on the top floor, suitable for social gatherings, and where much-sought views towards mountains and sea are reached. The sea’s focus is made explicit in the new north façade, which lightens up in an upward sequence topped by a lookout, in a contemporary version of the restored south façade.
In contrast with this stone-walled architecture, in which masonry is selectively left exposed in its interiors, the general tone of finishes relies in extensive use of natural wood and pastel tones.
The initial ruin contained a set of glazed tiles in its façade, reused from the nearby El Capricho Palace, built in 1885 by Antonio Gaudí. Their conservation in the restored house fortifies the bond and memory between the ancestral typology of this architecture and the extraordinary cultural flourishment of Art-Nouveau in Comillas, still a major feature of this small town’s charm.
Project: Comillas House
Status: Under construction
Location: Comillas, Santander, Spain
Team: Jacobo García-Germán, Raquel Díaz de la Campa, Miguel López, Marta Roldán, Jorge Ferrer, Iván Corbacho, María Salán
Consultants: Angel David Moreno (quantity surveyor), Aguanaz (structural engineers), Suma Ingeniería Aplicada S.L. (mechanicals)
Builder: Hermanos Vega Diaz Rehabilitaciones S.L